This page collects some of our group’s research publications and documents.
Enhancing Ontario’s Rural Infrastructure Preparedness: Inter-Community Service Sharing in a Changing Climate
This new article in Haznet magazine titled “Inter-Community Service Collaboration: Innovation for a Changing Climate?” discusses recent research on this project. More information to come!
Ontario Rural Municipal Emergency Management and Critical Infrastructure: Enhancing Planning and Preparedness Capacities for Climate Change Resilience
- xTREME Toolkit – Policy Brief
- xTREME Toolkit – Resource Guide
- xTREME Toolkit – Tabletop Exercise Overview
- xTREME Toolkit – Toolkit Executive Summary
- xTREME Toolkit – Climate Change Projections Report
Climate Change Projection How-To Videos – Developed by Dr. Laura Brown, these videos outline how communities can use open-access data to compose climate projections. There are 4 videos that outline how this process works, and are available below:
Part 1 – Projecting Extreme Weather due to Climate Change for a Specific Location – Climate Change Modelling Watch Video
Youtube link: https://youtu.be/4fvzaJqL–Y
Part 2 – Projecting Extreme Weather due to Climate Change – Downloading Downscaled Data Sets Watch Video
Youtube link: https://youtu.be/bu42vXEqp9s
Part 3 – Projecting Extreme Weather due to Climate Change – NetCDF Watch Video
Youtube link: https://youtu.be/06ytGA04XCA
Part 4 – Projecting Extreme Weather due to Climate Change – CDO Demo
Youtube link: https://youtu.be/pruhLDxCRTk
Table Top Exercise Documents
- xTREME Toolkit – Instructional Guide for Table Top Exercise Directors
- xTREME Toolkit – Appendix 1 (Sample Exercise Plan)
- xTREME Toolkit – Appendix 2 PDF Format (Sample Exercise Conduct Power Point Slides)
- xTREME Toolkit – Appendix 2 PPT Format (Sample Exercise Conduct Power Point Slides)
- xTREME Toolkit – Appendix 3 (Sample Exercise Evaluation Guide)
- xTREME Toolkit – Appendix 4 (Sample Participant Survey)
- xTREME Toolkit – Appendix 5 (Sample After-Action Report and Corrective Action Plan)
Indigenous Disaster Evacuee Audio-Visual Stories:
- Executive Summary From Displacement to Hope Final ENGLISH March 31 2017
- Executive Summary From Displacement to Hope Final FRENCH March 31 2017
Mutual Aid Agreements: Wise Practices for First Nations Communities:
Maple Syrup-related projects:
- Maple Syrup Innovation Toolkit
- Maple Syrup Policy Brief
- Executive Summary of Rural Maple Values Focus Groups
- Executive Summary of Aboriginal Maple Values Focus Groups
- Indigenous Maple Syrup Values Summary
- Maple Value Chain Summary
- IMSKN 2014 Focus Groups Final Report
- Commercial Maple Practices Workbook
- Aboriginal Maple Practices Workbook
- Murphy, B. L., A. Chretien and L. J. Brown, 2012. Non-Timber Forest Products, Maple Syrup and Climate Change, Journal of Rural and Community Development, 7 (3), 42-64.
- Climate Change and Maple Syrup
Brown, L. J., D. Lamhonwah, and B. L. Murphy, 2015. Projecting a spatial shift of Ontario’s sugar maple habitat in response to climate change: A GIS approach, Canadian Geographer 59 (3), 369–381.
Murphy, B. L., 2011. From interdisciplinary to inter-epistemological approaches: Confronting the challenges of integrated climate change research, Canadian Geographer, 55 (4), 490-509.
- Murphy, B.L., A. Chretien, and L. Brown, 2009. How Do We Come to Know? Exploring Maple Syrup Production and Climate Change in Near North Ontario, Environments, 37 (1), 1-33.
- Murphy, B. L. and J. Lawless, 2012. Climate Change and the Stories We Tell, Journal of Canadian Studies, 46 (2), 196-220.
- Murphy, B.L., A. Chretien, and L. Brown. Maple Syrup Production and Climate Change, Ontario Maple Syrup Mainline, Spring 2009
- Murphy, B.L., A. Chretien, and G. Morin. Maple Syrup Value Systems and Value Chains: Considering Aboriginal and Non-Aboriginal Perspectives presented at CAG conference 2014
- Interdiciplinarity Conference Poster
- Climate Change Save Our Syrup (SOS)
- Indigenous Maple Syrup Knowledge Network
- Media Articles
Climate Change Adaptation-related projects
Nuclear Waste-related projects
- Murphy, B. L., 2009. Canadian Communities and the Management of Nuclear Fuel Waste in Nuclear Waste Management in Canada: Critical Issues, Critical Perspectives (D. Durant and G. Fuji Johnson, editors), Vancouver: UBC Press, 130-149.
- Murphy, B. L. and R. Kuhn, 2009. Siting and Issues of Justice in Nuclear Waste Management in Canada: Critical Issues, Critical Perspectives (D. Durant and G. Fuji Johnson, editors), Vancouver: UBC Press, 150-167.
- Murphy & Kuhn 2006 (NWMO) Community – Defining the concept and its implications
Emergency and Disaster Management-related projects
- Cole, J. and B. L. Murphy, 2014. Rural Hazard Risk Communication and Public Education: Strategic and Tactical Best Practices, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 10(Part A), 292-304.
- Murphy, B. L., G. Anderson, R. Bowles, and R. Cox, 2014. Planning for disaster resilience in rural, remote, and coastal communities: Moving from thought to action, International Journal Emergency Management, 12 (2), 105-120.
- Murphy, B. L., 2012. Community-Level Emergency Management: Placing Social Capital (updated reprint) in Disaster Risk and Vulnerability: Mitigation through Mobilizing Communities and Partnerships, (E. Haque and D. Etkins, editors) Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 45-70.
- Murphy, B. L. and D. Etkin, 2011. Introduction, Disaster and Emergency Management in Canada, peer-reviewed on-line textbook, Canadian Risks and Hazards Network, 30p.
- Murphy, B. L., 2011. Household Economic Disaster Recovery: Canadian Approaches, Disasters and Emergency Management in Canada, peer reviewed online-textbook, Canadian Risks and Hazards Network, 30p.
- Etkin, D., B. L. Murphy and L. Pierce, editors, 2007. Theory and Practice of Hazards and Emergency Management in Canada, International Journal of Emergency Management, 4 (2).